Friday, July 13, 2012

Retirement Party

My mother worked in the public school system for over 30 years, first as a teacher (of a variety of grades and subjects, mostly language arts) and then as a middle school librarian. When she announced that she was retiring this June, we knew we wanted to give her a big sendoff.

After months of planning, we had a wonderful evening celebrating her long and wonderful career with her friends, family, coworkers and church members. I'd love to share some of the party details with you.

First, the invitations. I knew I wanted to go with a book theme, so of course I carried that into the invitations. I printed the party details on ivory cardstock and then matted them on actual pages cut from an old history book, and mailed them in brown kraft envelopes. I got a little punny with the invitation wording as well.

Photobucket

Photobucket

For centerpieces, I used stacks of old books, along with magnolia blossoms from my mom's huge magnolia tree.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

For each place setting, we wrapped plasticware in a napkin and tied it with twine.

Photobucket

We were lucky that the party lined up perfectly with the blooming of the magnolia tree and mom and I's hydrangea bushes. For the food table, I used burlap table runners and a centerpiece of hydrangea blooms.

Photobucket

Photobucket

My sister commissioned this beautiful cake, decorated with the organizations Mom was involved in throughout her career.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Mom and her daughters:

Photobucket

And with her sisters and brother:

Photobucket

We had a wonderful meal of barbecue chicken (made by my dad) and sides (made by generous family members). Then my uncle, my dad and my mom's first principal said a few words about her (all of them being equal parts funny and touching). We showed a slideshow I had put together of pictures throughout her career, as well as well wishes from her coworkers. If you have a spare 17 minutes, you can take a look here:


Penny's Retirement Slideshow from Megan Wade on Vimeo.


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


Finally, Mom wrapped things up with some memories and parting words of her own.

It was a wonderful night to celebrate a wonderful woman, and I'm so happy with how everything turned out.

Best wishes Mom for a happy retirement!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...